Hosting a brunch? This simple recipe for cheesy egg and hashbrown cups is just the thing to serve. It incorporates all the best breakfast ingredients – eggs, hash brown potatoes, cheese, and prosciutto (which I think is better than bacon). This recipe gets made in a muffin tin, and it is easy to make a dozen or more at a time. This is the perfect recipe for times when you need to serve brunch to a crowd, or for mornings when you just want something easy to prepare.
I love this recipe because you can make it for one person or twenty, and making a big batch doesn’t take much more time. I love prosciutto and it folds into the hash brown cups so easily, but you could add some crumbled cooked bacon instead. You can add any cheese you like, my go-to is Cabot Cheddar, so I added that.
The potatoes take a little while to get really crispy – I made this recipe a few times to master it, and that process takes about 30 minutes. The other important thing is to cook the egg whites but leave the yolks runny, this takes about 12 minutes, bringing the total preparation time up to about 45 minutes.
On my second attempt at this recipe the potatoes turned out wonderfully crispy. It’s worth the extra time. I also used bacon instead of prosciutto.
I am not going to get into specific amounts in the recipe, because you can adjust it based on your preferences. For each individual serving you need about 1/4 cup hash browns, 1 tablespoon shredded cheese, 1 egg, and a slice of bacon or prosciutto.
For a kick of spice serve with sriracha or your favorite hot sauce drizzled over the top.
45 minPrep Time
45 minTotal Time
- Shredded Hash Browns
- Prosciutto or Bacon
- Generously butter the muffin tin. Then add about 1/4 cup of the shredded hash browns into each compartment, pressing the potatoes down and up the sides.
- Then place in the oven at 350 degrees to bake for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes have browned slightly.
- If you are making bacon, cook it in the oven alongside the potatoes until crisp.
- Once the potatoes are slightly brown, remove them from the oven. Either place a slice of prosciutto or some crumbled bacon on top of the hash browns. Then add a bit of cheese. Add an egg, and top with a bit more cheese.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes - until the white has fulled cooked, but while the yolk is still runny.
- Serve immediately.
Want to see some of my favorite breakfast recipes? Here you go:
Eggs in Hash Brown Nests involve nearly all the same ingredients in this Cheesy Egg and Hash Brown Cups recipe, just with a different preparation.
This Strawberry Nutella French Toast will satisfy your sweet tooth.
And Breakfast Pita Pizza takes just 5 minutes of preparation time to make.