Weekend breakfasts should be special. It’s also nice when they don’t take much effort to prepare or make much of a mess. This Breakfast Pita Pizza is all of those things. A pita is slathered with a seasoned ricotta, topped with sautéed mushrooms, spinach, and an egg, and drizzled with pesto. It’s a hearty breakfast that you can pull together with just 5 minutes or active preparation time.
I loved how this turned out. The pita was perfectly crispy and the ricotta, egg yolk, and pesto mixed together in the most delightful way, and the mushrooms added a nice meatiness while the spinach added fresh flavor.
This breakfast is easy to make one at a time, or in larger batches. You can also customize it with your favorite cheeses and vegetables. If you don’t have pita, you could use naan or focaccia instead.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Part Skim Ricotta
- a dash of Salt and Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- a small handful of Spinach
- 1 Pita
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Pesto
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees,and place an oven rack on the second lowest position. I sautéed the mushrooms first, you could skip this step but I thought sautéing them would lend them more flavor. Heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the mushrooms, and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until the mushrooms have browned.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper together. Then spread it over the pita.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms and top, leaving space in the center of the pita for the egg. Crack the egg in the center of the pita, and drizzle the pesto over.
- Place in the oven and let bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg white is fully cooked.
- Slice the pizza and serve it right away.