In the summertime, my eating habits are extreme. I am either traveling and indulging in amazing meals at restaurants, or I am at home trying to be as healthy as I can. When I am home, I love to make a hearty salad, and this Roasted Carrot, Arugula, Avocado, and Goat Cheese Salad inspired by a recent meal at The Pump Room is a current favorite.
Carrots are roasted with butter and a touch of honey, and paired with fresh arugula, sliced avocado, goat cheese, and homemade garlic croutons, and dressed in a light mustard vinaigrette. The combination of the carrots, arugula, and croutons make this a heartier salad that can be served as dinner. If you want to add some protein, mix in some shredded chicken breast.
You could roast the carrots ahead of time, and then assemble the salad later. This strategy would be a super fast way to get dinner on the table, because summertime is always so busy, right?
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 pound Carrots
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 thick slices of Country Bread
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 Avocado
- 3-4 cups Arugula
- 2 tablespoons Goat Cheese
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Mustard (Dijon or Stone Ground)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Start by roasting the carrots. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the whole carrots and trim the stems. Place in a small pan, and drizzle 1 tablespoon melted butter over. Then drizzle the honey over, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, trim the crusts off the bread and spread the remaining butter on both sides of the bread. Place in the oven for 5 minutes, or until one side has toasted. Remove from the oven, and rub the clove of garlic over the toasted side of the bread. Then use a sharp knife to dice the bread into large cubes. Return to the oven to toast the second side of the bread.
- Half the avocado, remove the pit, and slice the avocado. Sprinkle the sliced avocado with a touch of salt and pepper (this really boosts the flavor).
- Then prepare the dressing by combining all the ingredients and whisking together.
- Toss the arugula, goat cheese, and dressing together. You may not need all of the dressing. Then top with the sliced avocado, warm roasted carrots, and croutons. Serve immediately.
my favorite link parties