Yup, I am a little obsessed with shaved brussels sprouts. They are crunchier than salad greens, and they last a bit longer too. I buy a pound of shaved brussels sprouts on Sunday and they are still great on Friday. My latest recipe creation with my new favorite ingredient is Southwestern Brussels Sprout Salad. You can throw it together in just 15 minutes and it is loaded with veggies.
Instead of making a salad dressing I squeezed slices of fresh lemon and lime over. When I tossed the ingredients together the tomatoes and avocado mixed with the citrus creating a dressing of sorts. But, if you want a bit more moisture in your salad, you could add guacamole instead of avocados, or add salsa.
This salad is filled with things that I love, but you could change things up. Add pulled pork, red onions, jalapeños, kidney beans, or a different type of cheese. You could definitely repurpose any leftovers from taco night to make this salad.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 Thinly Cut Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 slices of Bacon
- 2 cups Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- 1 small Tomato
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 1/3 cup Cabot Pepper Jack*
- 2 slices of Lemon
- 2 slices of Lime
- 1 can of Black Beans
- Bring the chicken broth and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- While you a waiting for the broth and water to boil, heat your oven to 400 degrees, place the bacon on a foil covered baking sheet, and put it in the oven to bake. It will be crisp after 8-10 minutes.
- Once the broth and water boil, add the chicken, and let it cook in the boiling water for 5-6 minutes, until the center is no longer pink. Then remove from the water and let sit to cool.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Chop the tomato and avocado, and either dice or shred the cheese.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Remove the bacon from the oven, blot it with a paper towel and crumble it.
- You can either divide the brussels sprouts between two bowls and arrange the ingredients on top like I did, or you can toss everything together in a bowl.
*I am a Cabot brand ambassador and they send me free cheese, and it’s awesome.my favorite link parties