Ginger Beef Scallion Pancake Tacos combine savory scallion pancakes with a flavorful ginger beef stir fry.
I love scallion pancakes, and I love tacos, so this meal is a match made in heaven. Ginger beef scallion pancake tacos are made by filling extra thin homemade scallion pancakes with a simple ginger beef stir fry. We loved this meal, but it did make quite the mess in the kitchen. You might want to reserve this recipe for weekend feasts. I do promise that the end result is well worth the extra effort and mess.
I get so much inspiration from all of the food videos that flood my Facebook feed. When a video about a restaurant that serves burritos made with scallion pancakes instead of tortillas, I wanted to create my own version of the meal. I thought tacos would be easier and more practical than a burrito, it is cumbersome and likely to fall apart.
I chose to fill the scallion pancakes with a beef stir fry just because I wanted to have beef that evening and I though the flavor of the ginger beef would compliment the scallion pancakes.
I added carrots and bell pepper in with the beef, but you could add your favorite vegetables. Broccoli, sugar snap peas, and mushrooms would all be delicious.
The beef stir fry comes together in just 25 minutes and can be served on its own without scallion pancake tacos (although I think that is the best serving option). Lettuce wraps would be a healthier and easier option, but I truly love the scallion pancakes and think they are worth every bit of the effort.
If you follow the recipe, the beef has a slight kick from the fresh ginger, but not much hot spice. If you want to increase the spice level, just add some sriracha. You can add sriracha into the stir fry or squeeze it right over the tacos.
The recipe for the stir fried ginger beef is below, and you can learn how to make the scallion pancake taco shells right here. The scallion pancakes take about an hour and 40 minutes to prepare, with over an hour of that time being used to let the dough rest. I prepped the dough, let it rest, prepared the stir fry and then kept it warm while I fried up the scallion pancakes.
Yields 3-4 servings
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 pound Flank or Skirt Steak
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- ½ cup Shredded Carrot
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Water
- Black Pepper
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of minced Fresh Ginger
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Thinly Sliced Scallions
- Optional: Sriracha
- Slice the beef into long strips 1/4 inch thick. Place the beef in a bowl, add the corn starch, season generously with salt and pepper, and stir until the beef is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a wok or skillet, heat one tablespoon of sesame oil over medium heat. Once hot add the carrot and bell pepper. Toss in the oil, add the water, and let simmer for 3 minutes. Then remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat the remaining sesame oil in the wok over medium heat. Once hot add the beef. and cook the beef until it has browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and honey to the wok. Stir to evenly coat the beef. Then add the carrots and bell pepper. Stir. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and scallions, stir, and serve with the scallion pancake tacos.
Want to save this recipe for Ginger Beef Scallion Pancake Tacos for later? Here is an image for you to pin:
Adapted from Delish