Just when I thought that I was done posting avocado toast recipes, inspiration struck and I created a recipe that I need to share with you. BLT Avocado Toast is the combination of mashed avocado, thick-cut crispy bacon, fresh juicy tomatoes, arugula, and fresh mozzarella, topped with a sunny side up egg. This all the best parts of breakfast combined: bacon, eggs, avocado, and cheese. It is the ultimate summertime weekend breakfast, especially now that tomatoes are in season.
On weekends I love to cook myself brunch. I always offer to make brunch for Charles too, and usually he declines, but when I described this recipe he was enthusiastic (and perhaps a bit impatient) to try it. I tend to eat brunch on the early side, around 10am, but I make something so hearty that I am full through lunchtime. This BLT Avocado Toast even filled up my constantly hungry (and snacking) husband for hours keeping him out of the kitchen so that I could work on some recipes.
Want to learn how to prepare a perfect sunny side up egg? Check out this post.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3-4 slices of Thick Cut Bacon
- 1 teaspoon of Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 slices of Toast
- 1 Avocado
- a touch of Salt and Pepper
- 4 slices of Tomato
- 4-6 slices of Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Arugula
- Start off by cooking your bacon. I love to bake bacon until it is really crispy. I place the bacon on a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet, and then bake it at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Once cooked, I blot the extra grease with a paper towel.
- Then prepare the eggs. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and the skillet is hot, crack the eggs into the pan. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and let cook for 2-3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes the eggs should be cooked so that the yolk is runny, but the white is fully cooked.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast your bread, and prepare the avocado. Put the avocado, scoop it out into a small bowl, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper, and mash the avocado with a fork.
- Once the toast has toasted, and the eggs have cooked, it is time to assemble. Spread the mashed avocado over the bread. Layer the arugula, tomatoes, mozzarella, and bacon over. Lastly, add the egg on top. Sprinkle the egg with a bit more salt and pepper. Serve right away, and perhaps with a sharp knife.
my favorite link parties