This is the best blue cheese dressing. I can’t stop eating it. I might be guilty of searching my fridge for things to dip in it! Blue cheese dressing is easy to prepare from scratch and it tastes so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store. And since it comes together with just 5 minutes of preparation time, there is no reason not to make your own blue cheese dressing!
I just recently starting making my own salad dressings. I had been wrongly assuming that making salad dressing would be time-consuming and require lots of ingredients that I don’t have at home. I was so wrong. I had most of the ingredients in my fridge and pantry, and it only took 5 minutes. Homemade dressings taste so much better! This is seriously the best blue cheese dressing. I have ditched the bottled stuff for good!
Since the blue cheese is the star of this recipe, use a high-quality blue cheese with a creamy taste. The blue cheese that comes crumbled usually is not the greatest quality, so it is best to buy a wedge of blue cheese and to crumble it up yourself.
I have been trying to eat more vegetables, and the easiest way to do that is to eat more salads. And the easiest way to make salads more appealing is to add blue cheese dressing. I have been eating more veggies and looking forward to it.
Charles loves blue cheese more than anyone I know. He is the only person that I have seen eat huge chunks of it on its own. He kept telling me to add more blue cheese to the dressing until it was super thick and chunky.
I like my blue cheese dressing to be chunky. If you prefer a smoother blue cheese dressing, just mix up all of the ingredients in a food processor instead of whisking by hand.
The dressing tastes best if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours – or overnight. As the dressing sits something magical happens and the flavors really start working together. The blue cheese dressing does get thicker as it sits, so you may want to stir in some extra buttermilk before serving.
This recipe makes 16 ounces of blue cheese dressing and it can be stored in the fridge for a few days.
How to make The Best Blue Cheese Dressing:
Best Blue Cheese Dressing
- about 1 cup of crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- about 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- a dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise, and 1/4 cup buttermilk together. Either very finely chop the clove of garlic or use a microplane to break it up. Add the garlic, garlic powder, lemon, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, and whisk to combine.
- Now start adding the crumbled blue cheese. I added about a cup, but you might want to add less if you don't want your dressing to be super chunky. If the dressing becomes too thick, just add some buttermilk. The dressing will thicken as it sits, so add more buttermilk as necessary.
The dressing tastes best if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours - or overnight. As the dressing sits something magical happens and the flavors really start working together. The blue cheese dressing does get thicker as it sits, so you may want to stir in some extra buttermilk before serving. This recipe makes 16 ounces of blue cheese dressing and it can be stored in the fridge for a few days.