These cheesy and delicious Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes are a fitting side dish to serve with Christmas dinner. It’s also one of those indulgent recipes with loaded with cream and cheese that you probably shouldn’t be having too often. I served these potatoes with my recipe for Beef Tenderloin Wrapped in Pastry and I loved how the cheesy potatoes complimented the beef and its red wine sauce.
I like making scalloped potatoes because they require less active preparation time than mashed potatoes, and the process makes less of a mess. The steps of boiling and mashing potatoes tend to make a big mess in my kitchen (does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?). Simply slicing potatoes, pouring a sauce over them, and baking them is so much easier! And I love the texture of scalloped potatoes, the way the creamy cheese sauce gets in between the layers of potatoes is so satisfying.
The total active preparation time for this recipe is just 15 minutes, and the potatoes bake for 1 hour. After a few minutes of baking the oven, my husband came out of our home office to tell me how amazing whatever I was cooking smelled.
Do you know what you are making for Christmas dinner yet? I always end up making at least one “Christmas dinner” to share here weeks before Christmas. Tomorrow we are flying back to Kennebunkport, Maine for the holiday, and my sister and I are taking on the task of preparing Christmas dinner for our family.
Since we will be in Maine for a whole week, Charles and I are going to spend one night up in Bath where my brother lives, and then a night in Portland. If you have any Portland restaurant recommendations I would love to hear them – it’s been a little while since I have spent time in Portland.
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Large Shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter to grease the dish
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8x8 sized casserole dish.
- Thinly slice the potatoes and place in a bowl and dust with salt and pepper. Stir to evenly incorporate the salt and pepper. Then layer the potatoes in a buttered dish.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the garlic. Saute for 2 minutes and whisk in the flour. Next whisk in the cream.
- Once the cream is hot, add 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Stir to melt and stir in the basil.
- Pour the cream and Parmesan mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for an hour. If necessary, cover with foil to prevent the top of the potatoes from burning. Feel free to make this a day ahead of time and reheat. If you reheat it you will want to keep it covered.