This simple 4 ingredient Taco Chicken recipe is just the thing to serve at your next party. I believe that you need to serve something that can be considered an entree when you host a party. And at this point, my friends have come to expect a big spread of food when they are invited over. After hosting many parties in the past year, I have learned that the easiest way to feed a crowd is to break out the slow cooker. Since the first item on the menu for my latest party was 7 Layer Taco Dip, I figured that it only made sense to serve tacos too. I made simple 4 ingredient taco chicken, and kept it warm in the slow cooker so my friends could assemble tacos whenever they wanted. My guests could snack on just one taco, or make a meal out of a few tacos.
At the party I set out a variety of taco supplies including cheese, avocado, lettuce, salsa, and tortillas. Guests also had the option of spooning some of the 7 layer taco tip on top of the tacos too. I added some refried beans to my tacos since in addition to being delicious, refried beans also act as taco glue holding everything together.
You could use any leftover taco chicken to make a taco pie or a tortilla soup. This is the type of recipe that you can make over and over again, but by adding different toppings to your tacos it will seem new each time.
15 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3 pounds of Boneless Chicken (I used half breast and half thigh)
- 2 cans of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis
- 1 packet of Taco Seasoning
- about 1 cup of Chicken Broth
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the slow cooker. Add the taco seasoning and mix thoroughly.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over the chicken until the chicken is submerged in the broth and tomato mixture. Stir to combine everything.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and set to low. After 4-5 hours the chicken will be fall apart tender.
- Use a fork to remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Shred with two forks.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the tomatoes out of the sauce, and add to the chicken. Add about 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker to the chicken and stir. I discarded the extra liquid in the slow cooker, and returned the chicken to the slow cooker and set to the keep warm setting during the party.
Want to see some more taco recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
This recipe for Chicken with Cilantro Pesto is made with rotisserie chicken so it comes together really quickly.
Ranch Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema are anything but ordinary. This recipe is inspired by cobb salad and involves chicken is cooked with ranch seasoning topped with tomatoes, lettuce, bacon, cilantro, and queso fresco.