My friend Olivia recently did a similar post, and I loved it so much I decided to borrow her idea. Since this site is mostly about food, I don’t get to talk about myself very much, but at the same time, I want my readers to feel like they know me. So today I am going to let you know a little bit more about me!
1. I studied abroad twice in college. First I studied Art History in Florence during my sophomore year. Then I spent the first semester of senior year trying to learn German in Berlin and Vienna, and I spent another 3 weeks backpacking around. While I was studying I wrote a column for my university’s newspaper called The Nomad about my travels. It is one of the only ways my college education connects to what I am doing now.
2. I fly often, but I am a very nervous flyer! I usually drink a couple beers to calm myself down.
3. People often ask why I am not overweight if I am a food blogger. I would like those people to know that I have gained 10 pounds and no amount of working out seems to have any effect!
4. If I wasn’t blogging, I like to think I would be curating the 90s channel for Music Choice. But I would probably be still stuck in a miserable job as a data privacy expert.
5. I am a terrible driver and I have only driven once in the past 10 years! I use Chicago’s public transportation system, public bikes, and Uber to get around.
7. My least favorite travel destination was Belize (sorry!).
8. I’ve been to 34 countries, but I have never been to Canada.
9. If my husband is out of town you can find me drinking red wine, eating tacos, and watching chick flicks on my couch.
10. I love painting my nails and have been painting my nails once a week since I was in fifth grade. I even pack mini bottles of polish and polish remover wipes with me when I am traveling.
11. I watch a lot of television shows. I usually have a show on when I am editing photos or scheduling instagram posts. Some shows that I especially love are Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, Call the Midwife, Jane the Virgin, The Mindy Project, Orange is the New Black, Grace and Frankie, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Pretty Little Liars.
12. I have seen every single episode of Grey’s Anatomy.
13. I don’t have much time to read, but when I commuted to work I would read a book a week. Some of my favorite books are The Crossroads of Should and Must, The Devil in the White City, The Great Gatsby, and The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay. When I was a kid my favorite book was The Magic Hat of Mortimer Wintergreen. Which is a super random book but apparently Johnny Depp is a fan because the internet says he is making it into a movie!
14. I am a huge fan of Glen Hansard and I see him in concert whenever I can.
15. My parents had three kids in 2 1/2 years. And yes, there were two years when we were all in high school together. Somehow my brother and sister convinced me to join the cross country team and we all ran together for two years. I didn’t like it at all.
16. There are people who can’t tell me and my sister apart, even though we don’t look that much alike anymore. Sometimes our parents can’t tell our voices apart when we call. Recently my Mom didn’t believe me when I said that I wasn’t Kelly.
17. I am the oldest, but my brother looked older when we were in high school. Before he turned 21 he looked old enough to buy beer without an ID, so we would drive a couple towns over where no one knew him and he would buy my beer for me.
18. I have been begging Charles to get me a puppy forever. It drives him nuts, but I think he is close to caving. My brother and sister wanted to give us a puppy as a wedding gift, but Charles shot down the idea. My brother and sister both have dogs (that’s my sister pup Milo).
19. My parents named me after my father’s grandmother, Kit.
20. I have called in 4 shootings during my 8 years living in Chicago. But I still love the city and I still feel safe.
21. My favorite Chicago restaurants are Avec, Balena, Roister, Southport Grocery, and Big Star. I wish Old Town had some better restaurant options.
22. For 12 years the only meat I would eat was chicken or turkey. When I was 25 and moved to Chicago I started eating red meat again. It was the beef with blue cheese at Cafe Ba Ba Reeba that got me to cave.
23. I really love cheese. I have had recurring nightmares that the zombie apocalypse has happened, and my only concern is that the cows are dead and there is only a finite amount of cheese left in the world. (Maybe I am crazy?)
24. I refuse to bungee jump or skydive.
25. I sleep for 9 hours a night. Don’t hate me.
Now, I would love to learn a little something about you! Do we watch the same tv shows? Read the same books? Love the same restaurants? Let me know in the comments!