Fried rice is a comfort food that is loaded with vegetables, and when it manages to snow in April in Chicago, a little comfort food is necessary. In search of a meal that could be prepared quickly on a busy night I came up with this recipe for Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice. It’s a one skillet (or wok) recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes.
First a sautéed the chicken in a bit of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and chicken broth. While that was happening I microwaved some long grain white rice – this little hack saves time and makes clean up easier. I added the traditional carrots, peas, scallion and egg to the fried rice, and seasoned it with ginger and garlic. I also added some broccoli since it is my favorite vegetable. The final result was less greasy version of one of my favorite take out meals.
I was home alone, and about to leave town, so I made a small batch of this Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice, but it could easily be doubled without much extra effort. You can also customize this recipe to include your favorite vegetables. Bell peppers, bok choy, and mushrooms would all be fine additions to this meal. And if you want to add a little heat, add some red pepper flakes or sriracha.
25 minPrep Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 thin cut Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 (8.8 ounce) package of microwaveable Long Grain White Rice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Carrot
- 1 Scallion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, minced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- a handful of Frozen Peas
- First cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. I used kitchen sheers to do this. Then, heat the toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and chicken broth in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook until it is not longer pink, stirring frequently. This will take about 4 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, microwave the rice. It will probably take just a minute or two.
- Then pour the chicken and all of it's juices into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in the wok. Once it is hot, add the rice. Stir the rice separating any clumps and letting the rice turn golden brown in color.
- Then push the rice to the sides of the pan. Add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil to the center of the wok and add the carrot, scallion, broccoli, ginger, and garlic. Stir the vegetables in the oil, letting them cook for 3 minutes.
- Next add about 5 tablespoons of the liquid that has collected in the bowl with the chicken. Stir this into the rice, seasoning it. Taste the rice and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Push the rice and vegetables to side of the wok, creating room to cook the egg. Pour 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil into the space, and crack the egg onto the oil. Use your spatula to scramble the egg, stirring it while it cooks, and stirring it into the rice one it is fully cooked.
- Lastly, use a slotted spoon to add the chicken to the rice, and add the peas. Let cook for 3 minutes, then serve and eat!