I dreamed up the recipe for this Chicken and Fried Avocado Wrap during a Flywheel class. Um yes… I spent a considerable about of time thinking about food during spin class. Don’t judge! I came up with this recipe because I was craving a meal with fresh flavors and lots of vegetables. I also wanted to eat a dinner that didn’t totally counteract the fact that I had just been to a spin class. I loved this meal so much that I had it again for lunch the next day.
The wrap is stuffed with shredded cabbage and carrot that is tossed in a ginger yogurt dressing, cheddar cheese, breaded fried avocado, and shredded rotisserie chicken. The only cooking involved is lightly frying the avocado in olive oil, and mixing up a simple dressing. This is the type of meal you can quickly throw together in 20 minutes. The recipe below is scaled to serve two people, but it could easily be doubled or tripled without adding much extra time or effort.
Remember the ginger and yogurt dressing from my sister’s brussels sprout salad? I used that same dressing here. I love its light refreshing flavor, and that it doesn’t overwhelm the other ingredients. I used a mix of shredded cabbage and carrots in this wrap, but you could use shredded brussels sprouts or greens instead. You could skip the step of breading and frying the avocado, but I love the crunch it adds to this meal, and the process of frying the avocado only takes a few extra minutes.
If you want to make this meal a little heartier, add some extra chicken. Bacon would be another delicious addition (even if it makes the meal a little less healthy).
I thought that the wrap pairs well with Gumballhead Beer (my current favorite). It is a lighter refreshing beer and I thought that it complimented the fried avocado.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup shredded Chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Cabbage and Carrots (or any greens)
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (I love Cabot)
- 1 (5 ounce) Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Finely Grated Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Wraps or Tortillas
- Start by breading and frying the avocado. Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and then cut each half into four slices. Remove the slices from the skin and set aside. Then whisk the egg. One by one, dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumbs, then coat with the egg, and dredge in the breadcrumbs again. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the avocado, and toast each side for about 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the avocado is frying, make the dressing. To make the dressing whisk together the yogurt, ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour a few tablespoons of the dressing over the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss to mix.
- Assemble the wraps by dividing the fried avocado, chicken, cheese, and the cabbage and carrot mix between two wraps, and then roll them up and serve.