Fall and apples just go together, don’t they? Charles loves apples, and he especially loves apple desserts. These Apple Pie Stuffed Apples were inspired by a video I saw in my Facebook feed. As soon as I saw the video I knew it would be a treat Charles would love. The idea of hollowing out an apple and filling it with apple pie filling was just too fun to resist. I took the concept of filling hollowed out apples and paired it with my apple pie recipe to make it my own.
This dessert is incredibly easy to prepare since it uses store-bought puff pastry dough. Apples are scooped out and then filled with diced apples that have been tossed in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, and cinnamon. The active preparation time is just about 10 minutes, and the cook time is 30 minutes. It is so easy, and it doesn’t make much of a mess either.
I should point out that you will need to dice up fresh apples for the filling. The apple you scoop out from the hollowed out apples isn’t really usable – it is messy. To make four apple pie stuffed apples you will need to start with 7 apples.
The apples maintain a very slight crispness and the tart flavor of the Granny Smith Apple contrasts with the sweetness of the brown sugar. It is comfort food at its finest.
You might want to serve this dessert with a scoop of vanilla or caramel ice cream on the side, and maybe a drizzle of caramel sauce. If you are serving this at a dinner party, I would recommend prepping the apple pie stuffed apples and then placing them in the oven to bake while you eat dinner. This dessert tastes best served warm.
Yields 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 7 Apples
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Melted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Raw Sugar
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry, thawed out
- Start by hollowing out 4 apples. Use a paring knife to cut a circle around the top of the apple. Remove what you can with the knife, before switching to a melon baller. Set these apples on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to combine the brown sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, flour, salt, room temperature butter, and cinnamon.
- Next, peel, core, and dice the remaining three apples. Pour the diced apple into the mixing bowl and toss them in the butter, flour, sugar mixture.
- Spoon the diced apples into the hollowed out apples.
- Cut four squares, about 4 inches big, out of the puff pastry. Then cut a few slits in the center. Drape the puff pastry over the apples. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Want to save this recipe for later? Here is an image for you to pin!
my favorite link parties