This raspberry brie grilled cheese is made with sweet, airy, buttery brioche. The raspberries add a sweet and tart flavor that contrasts wonderfully with the brie. It’s worth the extra effort to find brioche (Whole Foods usually has it). Brioche is a delicate bread that has a texture like a croissant. The texture of the toasted brioche is heavenly, and it is the perfect vehicle for this grilled cheese with rich creamy melted brie and fresh raspberries.
This a recipe that walks the line between sweet and savory. The bread and the raspberries are both a bit sweet, while the savory brie balances out that sweetness. The light flavors of the bread and raspberries make this a nice brunch or lunch recipe.
Brioche can be tricky to handle – it’s really easy to accidentally crush it on your way home from the grocery store. While I do believe that the best way to make a grilled cheese is to butter the bread before putting the sandwich in the pan to toast, you can’t do that with brioche, the bread is to delicate that you would ruin it. In this case, buttering the pan is definitely the way to go.
P.S. Did you know that it is Grilled Cheese Month?! In case you are looking for more grilled cheese recipes, you can buy my book, The Gourmet Grilled Cheese Cookbook here, and you can find more grilled cheese recipes here.
5 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 6 thin slices Brie
- 1/4 cup Raspberries
- 2 thick slices of Brioche
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- First thinly slice enough brie to cover each slice of bread. You want to sandwich the raspberries between cheese to hold everything in place. Arrange the brie on one of the slices of bread.
- Then lightly chop the raspberries and spread them out over the cheese. Top the raspberries with another layer of brie and add the second slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat and add 1 teaspoon of butter. Once the butter melts, add the sandwich and cover the skillet. The brioche is so thick that you need to cover the skillet in order for the cheese to melt.
- After about 3 minutes the first side of the grilled cheese should be golden brown. At this point add the remaining butter to the skillet and flip the sandwich. Toast the second side of the bread, slice in half and eat immediately.