I realize that everyone probably thinks that their Mom makes the best Rice Krispie Treats. But my Mom really does. Want to know why? She doesn’t follow the standard recipe and she changes the marshmallow to krispie ratio. She also adds peanut butter. Recently I was hosting a girls night for a couple of my friends, and I wanted to make some snacks, and my sister suggested that I make Rice Krispie Treats. Perfect – they are quick and easy to make and I am pretty sure that everyone with a heart beat loves them. I added my own little twist – chocolate covered pretzels – to create these Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats.
These rice krispie treats have a layer of chocolate covered pretzels in the middle, plus more pretzels on the top. They had a nice extra crispy texture, and chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzels has to be one of the best flavor combinations out there. I love how Rice Krispies have become cool again. They are so quick to make, and you can add in your favorite candies! The options are really endless.
I have seen Rice Krispie Treats with M&Ms and Oreos added in. Do you have a favorite additional ingredient? Share your favorite Rice Krispie add in with us in the comments.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 cups Mini-Marshmallows (equivalent to a 7 ounce bag)
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 4 cups Rice Cereal
- 2 cups Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Line a 8x10 pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Then add the marshmallows and peanut butter, and stir until melted.
- Stir in the rice cereal, making sure to evenly coat the cereal in the melted marshmallows.
- Pour half of the mixture into the pan. Use a spoon to spread out the rice krispie mixture, creating an even layer. Next add a layer of the chocolate covered pretzels. I added a thick layer, fitting as many as I could.
- Then add the remaining rice krispie mixture, and again use a spoon to spread it out and pack it down.
- Add some more chocolate covered pretzels on top.
- Let the rice krispie treats cool and set for an hour before slicing.