This easy recipe for crockpot Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorites. The incredibly tender beef is drowned in a creamy mushroom sauce and served with egg noodles. It’s a complete meal that will warm you up on a cold day. The best part is that this recipe tastes even better the next day (seriously, make a big batch so that you will have plenty of leftovers!).
Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods, so I put plenty in this recipe. I added shallots in addition to onion and garlic since I think that shallots add a little something extra. The onions and shallots practically dissolved into the sauce as it cooked, making it incredibly flavorful.
I love recipes like this that still seem a bit fancy, even if they don’t require much time in the kitchen. You could easily make a double (or triple) batch of this meal, and it would be a lovely dinner to serve if you still have guests hanging around after the holidays.
To prepare this beef stroganoff, you quickly brown the meat and saute the mushrooms, onion, and shallot before placing everything in a crockpot. The active preparation time is about 20 minutes before letting the stroganoff cook for 5 hours in the crockpot.
Beef Stroganoff is traditionally served with noodles, but I think it would be just as wonderful served over mashed potatoes.
I had read that you shouldn’t put dairy products in a slow cooker because they might curdle, but I have never experienced this problem. I tested adding all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and keep a close eye on things and didn’t have any problems. I think that the key is to stir everything together once the ingredients heat up. If you are worried about adding dairy to the crockpot you can add the cream cheese and sour cream 30 minutes before serving.
To reheat the leftovers I poured everything – including the egg noodles into a casserole dish and placed it in the oven at 250 degrees to heat for 45 minutes. Reheating it low and slow keeps the beef really tender. It’s worth the wait, I promise.
30 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 1/2 pounds Chuck Beef Roast
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 small Onion
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 Shallot
- 3 tablespoons Dry Sherry
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 1/2 cups Beef Broth
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Tarragon
- Serve with Egg Noodles
- Start by slicing the onion and shallot, and then set aside.
- Thinly slice the beef into pieces about 1/4 inch thick and 2 x 1 inches in size. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Then melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Quickly brown both sides of the beef, this will take about 1 minute per side. Cook the beef in 2-3 batches so you don't overcrowd the pan. Pour the cooked beef into the crock pot.
- Use the same skillet to melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with a dusting of salt and pepper, and let cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Then add the shallot and sherry and simmer for 3 minutes. Then pour everything into the crockpot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve with egg noodles.