Spinach Artichoke Dip Stuffed Chicken is a quick and delicious dinner. Chicken breasts are filled with a cheesy homemade spinach artichoke dip, wrapped with slices of prosciutto, and baked. The active preparation for this recipe is just 15 minutes, and the bake time is 45 minutes. It is so easy that anyone can make it, and it is quick enough to be a weeknight meal.
I love the recipe for spinach and artichoke dip that I used to stuff this chicken. It is the same dip I used to make my Spinach Dip Stuffed Sweet Pepper recipe – but I added in some quartered artichokes. The dip is a lower fat version of spinach and artichoke dip made with fat free Greek yogurt and reduced fat cream cheese. It has a lighter fresher flavor. Charles even said that he prefers it over my Mom’s super rich and creamy artichoke dip recipe.
The thing I love about using this particular spinach and artichoke dip for the filling is that it doesn’t melt out of the chicken. This means that you can add lots and lots of spinach artichoke dip to center of the chicken breasts. You could try using another spinach artichoke dip – but this version can be made in just 10 minutes.
I used about half of the spinach artichoke dip to stuff the chicken breasts. We ate the rest as a pre-dinner snack! Or you could just buy more chicken breasts and feed a crowd. Since there are only two of us, I made four chicken breasts and with the leftovers we had another meal to eat later in the week.
You could use bacon instead of prosciutto, but I think that the prosciutto stays in place better. Plus, it is lower in fat than bacon. The saltiness of the prosciutto contrasted nicely with the creaminess of the spinach artichoke dip.
Who loves spinach artichoke dip? How do you use it in other recipes? Let me know – I am always looking for new ideas!
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 package of Frozen Spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 (5.3 ounce) tub of fat-free Greek Yogurt
- 4 ounces 1/3 fat Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 can Quartered Artichokes
- 4 large Chicken Breasts
- 8 slices of Prosciutto
- Heat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Use a garlic press to crush the garlic, and then saute it in the oil for 1 minute. Then add the spinach. Saute until hot, about 3 minutes.
- Add the basil, salt, pepper, yogurt, cream cheese, Parmesan, and artichokes. Stir until the cheese has melted. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken breasts, butterfly them by slicing through the side of the chicken breasts and towards the center of the chicken breasts, but not all the way through. Fold the chicken breasts open and pound them flat with a meat mallet or a cast iron pan.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of the spinach artichoke dip in the center of each of the chicken breasts. Fold the chicken breasts around the artichoke dip, and then wrap two pieces of prosciutto around the chicken breasts, sealing the chicken breasts closed.
- Place the chicken breasts on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Then serve.