An easy to prepare recipe for a classic pecan pie with a shortbread that your whole family will love! The sweet pecan filling and the buttery shortbread crust are a perfect combination!
Pecan Pie with a shortbread crust is one of my favorite wintertime treats. It is the perfect pie to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I have been making this pie for years and it is always a hit. Plus, this recipe comes together very quickly and easily. Even if you aren’t much of a baker, you can make this pie!
This recipe is based on my Mom’s pecan squares recipe. Pecan squares are a favorite holiday dessert at my parent’s Christmas Eve party. I replaced the original pecan square crust with the shortbread crust from our family’s Pumpkin Pie recipe. I didn’t think a pre-made crust was the way to go, and I didn’t think that the pecan square crust would make for a good pie crust.
The shortbread crust is no roll, making it very quick and easy to make, and the buttery shortbread is a fitting companion to the pecan filling. It also holds up well while cutting into slices. To make the crust you just melt the butter and mix in the other ingredients to create a dough, and then press the dough into a pie pan. It’s the easiest homemade pie crust recipe out there.
My Dad always serves pie warm with a scoop of ice cream. Whipped cream is also a delicious option. You could add a drizzle of chocolate or caramel too.
Pecan Pie with a Shortbread Crust Recipe:
Pecan Pie with a Shortbread Crust
- For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- For the Filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Karo Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat & add both sugar and stir to combine. Stir in flour. Cool 15 minutes (dough will be warm). Spray 10 inch pie pan with non- stick spray. Press dough onto bottom & up the sides of pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes - the crust will not be fully baked; it will go back into the oven once the pie is filled.
- Make the filling. Beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in pecans.
- Pour filling over hot crust; spread evenly.
- Bake 40-45 minutes at 350°F until filling is firm around the edges and slightly firm in center. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.
Interested in making some other pies? Here are some pies that you might want to try?
Bourbon Butterscotch – This pie uses the same pie crust but with a homemade bourbon butterscotch pudding filling.
Chocolate Caramel with a Pretzel Crust – The perfect pie for people who love a sweet and salt flavor combo.
Indiana Sugar Cream Pie – Indiana’s state pie is surprisingly great!
Chocolate Walnut Pie – This pie uses a store-bought pie crust and you just need to mix up the filling, pour it into the crust, and bake!