One of my favorite recipes, this chicken with a sherry mushroom sauce is tender and loaded with rich flavors. Plus it comes together in under an hour, with just 20 minutes of active preparation time.
I have been taking a look back at some of my earlier recipes and updating them. My recipe for Sherry Mushroom Chicken is one of the most popular recipes on this site! Today I am sharing an updated version of the recipe. I have added garlic and thyme to give extra flavor to the meal, and I have found that cooking the chicken right in the sauce makes it more tender.
The active preparation time is just 20 minutes, and the bake time is 30 minutes, making this a meal that can get to your table in under an hour. It’s sophisticated enough for a special occasion, but easy enough for a quick weeknight meal.
Sherry and mushrooms is one of my favorite flavor combinations. If you aren’t familiar with sherry, it is a fortified Spanish wine, and it lends a rich flavor to recipes. Just make sure that you purchase dry sherry for this recipe. The moment the sherry and mushrooms meet your home will be filled with the most delicious aroma. It will catch the attention of anyone else in your home, and make their mouths water.
Whenever I make chicken, I like to use the technique of quickly searing the chicken over a high heat to brown the chicken and lock in the juices, and then roasting the chicken in the oven until it is fully cooked. It makes the chicken more juicy and tender.
The mushroom and sherry sauce is seasoned with garlic and thyme. The mushrooms simmer in the sherry soaking up its flavor, and then cream is added to compliment the sherry and give a thickness to the sauce. Then the chicken goes back into the skillet and into the oven to roast for 30 minutes.
I love to serve this meal with fresh pasta or rice pilaf. You will want to serve it with a side that will soak up the sauce.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed or chopped
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms (I like baby bella)
- 1 cup Dry Sherry
- 1/3 Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts. Once the butter has melted, add the chicken to the skillet. Then add 1/4 cup of sherry. Cook the chicken for 3 minutes per side, until browned. Then remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate while you work on the sauce.
- Melt another tablespoon of butter in the same skillet you just used to cook the chicken. Add the garlic and stir, scraping up any brown bits. After a minute add the mushrooms. Generously salt and pepper and toss until the mushrooms are evenly coated with butter. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the remaining sherry. Let the mushrooms simmer for another 4 minutes. Then stir in the cream and thyme. Let the sauce reduce for 5 minutes then add the chicken back to the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven for 30 minutes so that the chicken can finish cooking. (Make sure you are using an oven-safe skillet!)
- After 30 minutes in the oven the chicken should be done - serve it with pasta or rice pilaf. Spoon the sauce over the top.
Want to save this recipe for later? Here is an image for you to pin:
my favorite link parties