As National Grilled Cheese Month comes to a close I thought I would share one more recipe with you. I am downright obsessed with grilled cheese. This means that my husband has tried many grilled cheeses, but when he tried this one he declared it to be one of the best. It’s also a bit different from other sandwiches I have made in the past because I spread cream cheese on the outside of the bread, and then topped that with shredded cheddar prior to grilling. The result: a crispy cheesy crust. It takes the sandwich to the next level.
This grilled cheese is filled with a generous amount of sharp cheddar, crumbled bacon, and mashed avocado. It is an easy upgrade to classic grilled cheese. If you want to mix things up a little, you can use guacamole instead of plain avocado. Or, serve the sandwich with a runny egg on top and eat it with a fork and knife. (Sorry, I am still obsessed with eggs over here).
Since grilled cheeses are made with few ingredients, you need to use the best of the best. I bought a fresh load of butter crust bread – a lightly textured, almost fluffy bread similar to a brioche. I also used Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, one of my favorite cheddars.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 slices of Bread
- 1 slice of Bacon
- 1/2 of a small Avocado
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar
- 3 tablespoons Whipped Cream Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- Begin by cooking your bacon. I baked mine in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes until it was crispy. I blotted the bacon with a paper towel to absorb any excess grease.
- While the bacon cooks, grate the cheese, and mash the avocado.
- Set two tablespoons of cheddar aside, then pile the remaining cheese on one piece of bread, and spread the mashed avocado on the other. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the avocado.
- Flip the avocado/bacon slice of bread on top of the cheese.
- Spread half of the cream cheese over the top of the sandwich. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheddar over, pressing it gently into the bread.
- Melt half of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet, cream cheese side facing down. (Do not move it until the cheese has crisped up.) Then spread the top of the sandwich with the remaining cream cheese and cheddar. Cover the skillet.
- After about three minutes the first side of the sandwich should be golden brown. You can tell it is ready because your kitchen will smell like crispy cheese, and it is wonderful.
- Then remove the sandwich from the skillet, melt the remaining butter, and flip the sandwich into the skillet to toast the second side. Again, do not move the sandwich. Cover and let toast for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut in half and devour immediately.