Isn’t it funny how working out can leave you with less time to cook a healthy dinner? Now that I am back home, I have been making a point to go to more Flywheel classes. (In part to work off all of the biscuits I ate in Charleston). When the evening spin classes end, I am hungry, and in a rush to get home to make dinner. This recipe for 20 minute Chicken Burrito Bowls has become a go-to recipe for busy weeknights.
Seasoned chicken is served with rice, greens, corn, avocado, black beans, and cubes of Cabot cheddar, topped with a homemade avocado lime crema. I threw a handful of tortilla strips on top to finish things off. It’s a meal loaded with vegetables and flavor, and you can customize it to make it as spicy as your heart desires.
You can add in your favorite vegetables. Bell peppers, chopped jalapeño, diced tomatoes, sliced onion, and cilantro are all fine options. A runny egg would be a fun way to add some extra protein to the meal. I know that there are people in the world that genuinely love kale, if you are one of those people, go ahead and use kale instead of lettuce.
The process of making this meal is simple. First you dice up chicken, quickly sear it, and then let it simmer in salsa. While the chicken is cooking, prepare a simple avocado lime crema, and pop the rice in the microwave to cook. (I am a fan of Uncle Ben’s rice in a bag because it is so quick). It’s a no fuss meal that takes advantage of easy shortcuts. Using salsa to season the chicken is delicious, and it lets you pick your favorite salsa and spice level.
If you want to make this recipe in even less time, use rotisserie chicken and simmer it in salsa to warm it up. And instead of making the avocado lime crema, add a scoop of store-bought guacamole and a dollop of sour cream on top of this burrito bowl.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of Salsa (pick your favorite)
- 1 Bag of Uncle Ben's Rice
- 1 Bag of Lettuce
- 1 can of Black Beans
- 1 can of Corn
- 1/4 cup diced Cabot Cheddar
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 a Lime
- 2 tablespoons Low Fat Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- Tortilla Strips
- Start by dicing the chicken into bite sized pieces. Then add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and quickly sear it until browned. Then pour the salsa over the chicken, stir, and reduce the heat to low. Let the chicken simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken simmers, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the black beans, dice the cheese, open the can of corn and drain off the liquid.
- Then prepare the avocado lime crema. Cut the avocado in half, and remove the pit. Slice half of the avocado and set it aside. Take the other half of the avocado and place it in a food processor or blender. Add the juice from the lime, sour cream, water, salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Lastly, prepare the rice. I use Uncle Ben's microwaveable rice because it is ready in 90 seconds.
- Now it is time to assemble the burrito bowl! Add hearty scoops of chicken, rice, and lettuce to a large shallow bowl. Add black beans, corn, cheese, and avocado on top. Drizzle the avocado lime crema over, and finish things off with some tortilla strips. Serve immediately.