These scrambled egg and tater tot breakfast burritos are loaded with fillings. They are filled with scrambled eggs, tater tots, refried beans, bacon, cheese, avocado, spinach, salsa, and sour cream.
Breakfast burritos are the ultimate weekend breakfast. They are an opportunity to see what you have in your fridge and get creative. Throw in any veggies you have. Leftover steak, chicken, sausage, pork, chorizo, or bacon? Add it in!
Breakfast burritos can be as simple or as complex as you like. I think it is worth the extra time to cook some bacon and tater tots, they turn the breakfast burrito into something extra special. I realize that there are two schools of thought when it comes to breakfast burritos, some people like to have potatoes in their burritos and others do not.
I absolutely love refried beans, and they act beautifully as glue to hold a burrito together. When you are assembling the burritos place the refried beans on the top, so that when you roll up the burrito the beans will be at the seam.
If you wanted, you could leave the scrambled egg out of the burritos, and instead serve the burritos with a sunny side up egg on top. And if you happen to have some poblano cream sauce (which you should 100% make) add that on top too.
You can opt to use large or extra large sized tortillas to make these burritos, depending on how hungry you are. I wanted to add as many toppings as possible, so I used extra large tortillas. I lightly fried the burritos in olive oil to get them crunchy on the outside. You can skip this if you like.
You might want to serve the extra refried beans on the side… perhaps along with some extra tater tots.
SUPER IMPORTANT LIFE HACK: If you want to make extra Scrambled Egg and Tater Tot Breakfast Burritos – individually wrap them up in aluminum foil and store them in the fridge. To reheat, just plop them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. This would be the ultimate weekday morning breakfast – you can do all of the preparation over the weekend! Wouldn’t you be more motivated to get out of bed if you knew that you had a delicious breakfast burrito waiting for you?
How to Make Scrambled Egg and Tater Tot Breakfast Burritos:
Scrambled Egg and Tater Tot Breakfast Burritos
- 1 cup of Tater Tots
- 8 Large Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 slices of Bacon or more if you love bacon
- 1 cup of Spinach
- 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- 1 can of Refried Beans
- Sour Cream
- 4 Flour Tortillas Large or Extra Large
- First you want to heat your oven 350 degrees, and start cooking the tater tots. The tots will probably need about 20 minutes to cook (but check the packaging, I am not familiar with cooking times for various tater tot brands - shocking, I know). During that time, start preparing everything else.
- I like to cook my scrambled eggs low and slow. I whisk the eggs together, and heat a non-stick skillet over low heat (the second lowest temperature setting). Add the eggs, and stir frequently with a rubber spatula. It will seem like nothing is happening for a while, but the eggs with slowly cook. The low and slow technique yields softer creamier eggs, so I think it is worth the extra time - it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. Once the eggs are almost done, season with some salt and pepper.
- 5 minutes after the tots go into the oven, and while you are keeping a watchful eye over those scrambled eggs, you want to place the bacon on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place the bacon in the oven with the tots. Depending on the thickness of the bacon, and your desired level of crispness, the bacon will take 12-15 minutes to cook. Once the bacon is done, place on a paper towel and blot to absorb any excess grease.
- Heat up the refried beans, and slice the avocado.
- To prepare each breakfast burrito, add some refried beans (on the top!), then scrambled egg, tater tots, cheese, bacon, spinach, avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
- To roll the burritos, first fold over the sides, and then roll from top to bottom, using those refried beans as burrito glue to hold everything together.
- If you want, you can lightly fry the burritos in olive oil.
SUPER IMPORTANT LIFE HACK: If you want to make extra Scrambled Egg and Tater Tot Breakfast Burritos - individually wrap them up in aluminum foil and store them in the fridge. To reheat, just plop them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. This would be the ultimate weekday morning breakfast - you can do all of the preparation over the weekend! Wouldn't you be more motivated to get out of bed if you knew that you had a delicious breakfast burrito waiting for you?