It’s official. It’s fall. Which means it is time to put pumpkin into as many foods as possible, right? I jumped on board with the trend and created an easy recipe for Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls that utilizes store bought cinnamon roll dough. Pumpkin and cinnamon are classic fall flavors that everyone seems to love, so I suggest whipping this recipe up asap!
Sometimes cinnamon rolls are so sweet that they seem more like dessert, but these cinnamon rolls are more savory. The homemade cream cheese icing is more creamy than sweet and it compliments the pumpkin flavor. If you want to shave off some preparation time, you could opt to use the icing that comes with the cinnamon roll dough, but I think that the homemade icing is worth the extra effort.
The secret to this recipe is that you unroll store-bought cinnamon roll dough, add a layer of pumpkin pie filling, and roll it back up. I even made I gif to show you. Then you separate the rolls, bake them, and top them with a homemade icing. It doesn’t get much easier than this.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 Package Cinnamon Roll Dough in the tube
- 1 can Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup Whipped Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
- Heat your oven to the temperature specified on the cinnamon roll packaging. Grease a cake pan with butter.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the packaging and carefully unroll them, so that they lay flat with the cinnamon facing up.
- Spread a layer of pumpkin pie filling over, and roll the dough back up. I used about 1/3 of the pan of pie filling.
- Separate the cinnamon buns, and arrange them in the cake pan.
- Bake according to the directions on the packaging.
- Meanwhile, mix up the icing. Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on a medium speed until combined.
- Once the cinnamon rolls have baked, top with the icing and serve.