The process of preparing this pasta dish is so easy. First, you chop up the chicken and toss it in flour. The little bit of flour will help to thicken the sauce. Once the chicken has browned, take it out of the pot, and sauté the garlic and shallots. Then add the liquid, a mix of water, white wine, and lemon juice, and bring it to a boil. Add the pasta, and once it is slightly soft add the chicken, tomatoes, and artichoke. Let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the pasta is al dente. Finish with goat cheese, cream, and spinach. If you like, garnish with toasted pine nuts.I used dried tagliatelle to make this meal. You want something similar, be sure to select a pasta that cooks in about six minutes. The reason this recipe works is that the pasta soaks up just enough of the liquid to cook the pasta and make a sauce. The cook time listed on the pasta is important. You don’t need to use tagliatelle, but you do need to pick something that has a six-minute cook time. To be clear, when prepared this way, the pasta will take longer than six minutes to cook.
I bought tagliatelle that came in little nests. I place the nests in the
I chose tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and spinach because I love how they pair with lemon juice and goat cheese and because I didn’t need to worry about them cooking. The tomatoes soften nicely, artichoke hearts are ready to eat, and spinach wilts in just a minute. If you add different vegetables (mushrooms might be nice), you might want to sauté them along with the garlic and shallots.
One Pot Pasta with Chicken
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 2 Shallots
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup White Wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 8 ounces of Pasta (tagliatelle or similar)
- 1 1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 16-ounce can of quartered Artichoke Hearts
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Goat Cheese
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop the chicken into one inch pieces. Chop the shallot and crush or finely chop the garlic.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a dutch oven, or a similar pot, over medium heat. Coat the chicken in flour and then add it to the dutch oven and brown it, this will take about 2 minutes a side. You will likely need to cook the chicken in two batches. Add more butter to the pan as necessary.
- Remove the chicken from the dutch oven and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot, season with salt and pepper, and saute until lightly browned.
- Keep the garlic and the shallot in the pot, and add the water, white wine, and lemon juice. Increase the heat to high.
- Once the liquid is boiling, add the pasta. It is ok if it isn't submerged in the water, just keep moving it around/flipping the pasta nests until the pasta relaxes in the liquid.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add the tomatoes and artichokes.
- Let cook for about 10 minutes, until the pasta is almost al dente.
- Stir in the heavy cream, goat cheese, and spinach.
- Taste test and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Use a dry pasta that cooks in 6 minutes.