Stop whatever you are doing and make these Molten Chocolate Marshmallow Mini Cakes immediately. They are just that good. I promise. Mint Marshmallows from XO Marshmallows melt into a rich chocolate cake recipe making it extra gooey and moist.
When my friends over at XO Marshmallow asked if I would create a recipe using their March flavor of the month – mint – I immediately thought of making a mint chocolate dessert since mint and chocolate is a classic flavor combination.
This recipe came about after one of my most epic recipe fails. At first, I thought that I would make a chocolate pie with a mint marshmallow topping. So I made a pie… and it didn’t look pretty. My friends Amanda and Libb were over for dinner and we laughed about how ugly it was, but we ate it anyway, and it was delicious. The recipe just needed a little more work.
Instead of making a pie, I realized that mini cakes in bowls would have a prettier end result while maintaining the incredible rich gooey chocolate mint taste.
I love this recipe because it takes just minutes of preparation time, and only 30 minutes from start to finish! This recipe starts with plopping 1 marshmallow down in the bottom of 5 bowls that can hold about 1 cup of volume each. Then you whisk together eggs, sugar, melted butter, cocoa, flour, salt, and vanilla together to make the cake batter.
Pour the batter over the marshmallows and sprinkle with some chocolate chips. Let that bake for about 20 minutes – until the center is almost firm. Then remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar, top each cake with another marshmallow, and return the cakes to the oven and turn the broiler on to melt and toast the marshmallows!
If you are having a dinner party you can prepare this recipe up until the final step of melting and toasting the marshmallow ahead of time, and then melt and toast the marshmallow just before serving.
You can make this recipe even if you don’t have mint marshmallows. Pick any flavor that pairs well with chocolate. XO Marshmallow’s bourbon, coffee kahula, raspberry, vanilla, and salted caramel marshmallows are all fantastic options. You can pick up XO Marshmallows at the Boss Babes Pop Up Shop in Block 37 or order them online.
This recipe makes 5 mini cakes, but it wouldn’t take much extra effort to time to multiply this recipe to prepare more servings. Just make sure that you are using oven safe bowls or ramekins.
This post was inspired by XO Marshallow. They gave me marshmallows in exchange for writing this post.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 stick of Butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Cocoa
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 10 Mint Marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- My cocoa was clumpy, so I sifted it into the egg, sugar, and butter mixture so that the batter would be smoother. Then add in the flour, salt, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Gather 5 oven safe bowls that can each hold 1 cup. Place them on a baking sheet. Add one marshmallow to the bottom of each bowl. Pour the batter over the marshmallows. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
- Place the cakes in the oven to bake for 20 minutes - until the center is almost set.
- Remove the cakes from the oven. Dust with the powdered sugar - this just makes them look prettier. Add a marshmallow on top.
- Increase the heat of oven to broil, and return the cakes to the oven. Keep an eye on them and let the marshmallows melt and get toasted.
- Remove from the oven and serve right away.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin this image:
my favorite link parties