Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite fall foods. I usually prepare sweet potatoes by peeling and roasting them, or by simply baking them, but this recipe for mashed sweet potatoes is even better than those options.
Sweet potatoes are peeled and boiled, mashed, and flavored with maple syrup, browned butter, salt, and a touch of cream. The result is sweet and salty sweet potatoes with a light fluffy consistency.
I paired these potatoes with my recipe for Shallot and Mushroom Pork Tenderloin and it made for a meal that celebrated fall flavors. Then I made them again for my pre-Thanksgiving celebration (because when you are a food blogger you need to post Thanksgiving recipes in advance).
This recipe would be a nice addition to your Thanksgiving menu. These potatoes have just the right touch of sweetness and I think they are so much better than sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. You can also prepare them a couple days before Thanksgiving.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Place a pot of salted water on to boil. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Once the water boils, add the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are very soft. Then drain the potatoes and place them in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring it to a bubble. Keep a close eye on the butter, and stir it frequently, until it reaches a dark golden color. Then immediately remove it from the heat and pour it over the potatoes. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Use the electric mixer to combine all of the ingredients and to whip to potatoes. Mix on a medium speed for one minute, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Either serve right away or pour into an oven safe dish and save for later. This recipe can be made a couple days ahead of time. To reheat place in the oven at 350 degrees (give or take a little) for 40 minutes, until thoroughly hot.