First things first. There is no real ice cream in these Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches. Instead, the ice cream is made from frozen pureed DOLE Bananas! Bananas make a beautifully creamy healthy alternative to ice cream. To make ice cream sandwiches, I prepared peanut butter and oat cookies that are somewhat similar to a chewy granola bar. The result is a much healthier version of ice cream sandwiches that will still satisfy your sweet tooth.
While researching this recipe I read that banana ice cream can only be made using high end super powerful blenders, and I proved that to be very wrong. I used a standard blender and made this recipe without any problems. The DOLE Banana ice cream is very simple to make, but you have to freeze the bananas first, then blend them, and then freeze them overnight, so plan ahead. The cookies take just 30 minutes to make.
Wouldn’t this dessert be a smart way of letting kids think they are having dessert while tricking them into eating a fruit?
Peanut butter and oat cookies with banana "ice cream" in the center.
45 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 45 Total Time
- 4 DOLE Bananas
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- a pinch of Salt
- a pinch of CinnamonFor the Peanut Butter Cookies you will need:
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 1/4 cup Quick Oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Slice the DOLE Bananas into round discs 1/4 inch thick. Then place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, place the frozen DOLE Bananas in a blender. Blend on a medium speed, for about 1 minute until smooth. Then add the vanilla, salt, and cinnamon and blend again just until combined.
- Pour the creamy DOLE Banana mixture into a container and let it freeze overnight. It's as easy as that!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the peanut butter and brown sugar together in a mixer on a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Add the baking soda; then add quick oats 1/4 cup at a time.
- Roll out the dough. No need to dust the surface with flour - the peanut butter makes the dough greasy and it won't stick. Use cookie cutters to cut out individual shapes.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet, and bake on a center rack of the oven for 6-8 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Just scoop the DOLE Banana ice cream onto a cookie, and then top with a second cookie. Either serve immediately, or return to the freezer.
Looking for more heart healthy recipes? Try this Heart Smart Salad,
or make these Heart in Hand Tarts.
This post is sponsored by Dole. The opinions expressed are my own.
Arin Agase | Happily Inspired
Thursday 19th of February 2015
omg kit, these look so beyond delicious!!! HeartofChic.coml