On hot summer days, I like to cook complete meals on the grill. These Garlic Parmesan Grilled Potatoes are a perfect compliment to grilled meat or seafood, and the preparation time is only a few minutes. The potatoes really soak up the flavor from the garlic parmesan dressing they are cooked in, and it’s the perfect easy side dish for a summertime grill night. I recently served these potatoes along with shrimp and chicken that I seasoned with an easy homemade honey sriracha sauce.
Potatoes and some white onion are thinly sliced and then placed on a sheet of aluminum foil and slathered in salad dressing. I like to use a garlic parmesan salad dressing to make these potatoes, but you could use Italian dressing instead. Once the potatoes are covered with a thin layer of salad dressing you need securely fold up the foil around them. The trick is to carefully fold the foil to prevent the salad dressing from leaking out, since the oily dressing will cause the grill to flame up.
The potatoes take about 40 minutes to cook on a grill heated to 400 degrees. The last step is to sprinkle the potatoes with parmesan and to place them under the oven’s broiler. This gives the potatoes a bit of cheesy crispiness. You could skip this step, but I think it is worth the extra effort, and the few minutes of turning your oven on. I just plopped the aluminum foil packet in a baking dish, and unwrapped the foil to expose the top of the potatoes. Then I sprinkled cheese on top.
Since the potatoes take 40 minutes to cook, I always prep them first since they take longer to cook than anything else I am grilling. Once the potatoes are on the hot grill, I turn my attention to preparing the rest of the meal.
If you have leftover potatoes, I recommend turning them into hash browns and serving them with breakfast!
The recipe is below – I am not breaking it into exact proportions, the beauty of this recipe is that you don’t need to measure anything. I recommend buying 2 small red potatoes per person.
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- Red Potatoes (2 per person)
- 1 White Onion
- Garlic Parmesan or Italian Salad Dressing
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- A big piece of aluminum foil
- I like to start my grill first so that it can get up to temperature. Then wash and thinly slice the red potatoes. Place them in the middle of the foil.
- Thinly slice the onion and place it on top of the sliced potatoes. I like to have 3 parts potato per 1 part onion.
- Pour the salad dressing over the top, and toss the potatoes around to evenly coat them in dressing.
- Wrap the potatoes up in the foil. You want to do this methodically so that the salad dressing doesn't leak out. I recommend folding the right and left sides of the foil and sealing them up. Then fold the top and bottom together and seal them together creating a big square.
- Place the foil wrapped potatoes on the grill. Let cook for 20 minutes, then carefully flip the potatoes. Some of the dressing might leak out when you flip the potatoes and when that happens the flame flares up - BE CAREFUL. Let cook for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil packet from the grill. Place it in a baking dish, and unwrap the foil, exposing the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle parmesan over the top of the potatoes, and place them in the oven until the broiler. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.