When you roast a ham, you are bound to end up with a good amount of leftover ham. These Croque Madame Eggrolls are a quick, easy, and incredibly delicious recipe to prepare using leftover ham. This recipe requires only five ingredients and about 15 minutes of preparation time, and these eggrolls taste like a croque madame.
To prepare the Croque Madame Eggrolls you just shred up some gruyere cheese, dice some ham, and roll them up in an egg roll wrapper. If you want to be fancy, you could add some caramelized onions, but that kind of goes against the point of this being a super quick and easy recipe, since onions take about 45 minutes to caramelize.
Then I pan fry the eggrolls in vegetable oil. I add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan and then brown all the sides of the eggroll. I think this is a lot easier – and much less messy – than deep frying. You could also skip frying all together and instead brush the eggrolls with oil and then bake them in the oven.
The finishing touch is a drizzle of mustard. I am obsessed with Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard (super duper obsessed so I am linking to it for you) and I think it pairs perfectly with the eggrolls.
My inspiration for this recipe came from Cochon Volant, one of my favorite lunch spots in the Chicago Loop. When most people think of Cochon Volant they think of the burger, which is one of the best in Chicago. But these eggrolls are equally droll-worthy.
I do want to give you a heads up that these eggrolls do not reheat well. The eggroll wrappers get mushy when you put them in the fridge. Luckily, these are so easy to make that it isn’t hard to whip up a fresh batch.
Yields 3-4 eggrolls
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3 or 4 Eggroll Wrappers
- about 3/4 cup Diced Ham
- about 3/4 cup Shredded Cheese (I recommend gruyere or swiss)
- Hot Water (just from the tap)
- about 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Your Favorite Mustard
- Place an eggroll wrapper on a work surface so that the corners are facing up and down, left and right (like a diamond, not like a square). Place about 3 tablespoons of the ham and 3 tablespoons of the cheese in the center of the eggroll wrapper.
- Brush the edges of the eggroll wrapper with hot water.
- Now you want to roll up the eggroll, this is similar to rolling up a burrito. Fold the left and right edges over towards the center. Then fold the bottom edge up and over the ham and cheese, use your hands to squash down the ham and cheese so there are no air pockets. Then roll the ham and cheese towards the top corner, using your fingers to seal the seams closed. Repeat using up all of the ham and cheese.
- Then heat the oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Once it starts to bubble, add the eggrolls being careful gently place the eggrolls in the oil using tongs so that oil doesn't splatter. Do not overcrowd the pan. Brown all sides of the eggroll, keeping a close eye to turn them as each side becomes golden brown.
- Either keep warm in the oven, or serve right away with mustard either drizzled over or on the side.