I feel like April gets a bad rap. It’s known for bringing rain… which must be true since it’s currently raining as I write this and it is supposed to rain for the next 2 days. BUT! Did you know that April is really the greatest month of all because it honors my favorite thing: GRILLED CHEESE! Yes! April is National Grilled Cheese Month. Some foods get a day, but the powers that be know that grilled cheese is so glorious that it is deserving of its own month.
To celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month’s arrival (tomorrow!!!) I have created an incredible, yet easy, recipe for Crispy Prosciutto Grilled Cheese. It’s a combination of prosciutto that is baked until it is crisp, Cowgirl Creamery’s MT Tam cheese, and a bit of Sir Kennsington’s Mustard. It delights your taste buds with umami flavors and the prosciutto provides a satisfying crunch.
MT Tam is one of my all-time favorite cheeses, but it can be hard to find. If you can’t find it you can use another triple creme cheese. You want a cheese that is creamy with a rich buttery flavor to compliment the mustard and the prosciutto.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 slices of Prosciutto
- 2 slices of Sourdough Bread
- MT Tam cheese (or Triple Creme Cheese)
- 1 tablespoon Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Sir Kennsington's Spicy Brown Mustard
- First crisp up the prosciutto. Heat your oven to 350 degrees, spread the prosciutto out on a baking sheet, and bake it for 10-12 minutes until it is stiff and crisp. I recommend using a Silpat if you have one.
- Then move on to the bread and spread the outward facing sides of the slices with the butter.
- Next spread the inside of the slices of bread with the mustard. Then add the MT Tam cheese on top of the mustard. MT Tam is very flavorful, and I didn't want it to overpower the mustard and prosciutto, so I just added a thin layer of cheese to each slice of bread. Adding cheese to each slice of bread holds the prosciutto in place. Lastly, sandwich the prosciutto between the two slices of bread, it will likely break up into smaller pieces at this point, but that is ok.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the sandwich. Toast each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Slice the grilled cheese in half and eat immediately.