Have you noticed butternut squash noodles at the grocery store? Wondering what to make with them? Try this: butternut squash noodles cooked in a herbed cheese sauce with broccoli. It’s a vegetable-based meal that is made in one pot. It’s a quick weeknight meal you will look forward to.
This recipe is so quick and easy. You make the creamy cheesy sauce and then you cook the noodles right in it. The sauce takes 5 minutes to make, then the squash cooks in the sauce for about 5 minutes. While the squash is cooking, steam the broccoli in the microwave. From beginning to end this meal can be prepared in just 20 minutes.
The secret ingredient is Boursin cheese,
The butternut squash itself has a very mild flavor. It’s one of those foods that I think most people like since it doesn’t taste like much on its own. You really taste the creamy sauce and the chunks of broccoli.
If you wanted to add some meat to this meal, add some diced or shredded chicken, but I like it without meat. I suppose crumbled bacon would be a fine option too.
I finished the meal off with a sprinkle of Parmesan and some toasted pine nuts. I love how the nuts add a bit of crunch and some extra flavor to this meal.
If you can’t find butternut squash noodles at your grocery store you can buy a butternut squash, peel it, with a vegetable peeler, and then use a spiralizer to make the noodles.
Butternut Squash Noodles with Broccoli and a Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 3/4 cup Milk (I use 2%)
- 1/3 cup Boursin Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Butternut Squash Noodles
- 1 cup Chopped Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- Optional: Toasted Pine Nuts
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once melted whisk in the flour. Continue whisking, letting the roux cook for one minute.
- Whisk in the milk and continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Let thicken for one minute, while whisking.
- Then add the boursin cheese and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the butternut squash noodles and the lemon juice, and use thongs to lightly stir the butternut squash noodles in the sauce, coating it. The noodles with soften after a minute or two and relax into the sauce.
- While the noodles are cooking, steam the broccoli in the microwave. I rinse the broccoli in water, and place the wet broccoli in a bowl with 2 tablespoons water. Then I steam it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, until tender. Drain the broccoli and add it to the skillet with the noodles.
- Once the noodles are tender, it's time to eat! Serve with some pine nuts and extra parmesan if you like!