These BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches are a crowd pleasing that is made with a slow cooker so the active preparation time is just minutes!
I’ve got something fun for you today. I have teamed up with six of my favorite Chicago food bloggers for a virtual dinner party! Each of us prepared a different dish for a summer barbecue, and if you put it all together you have a complete party menu.
I prepared BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches using a slow cooker, and then I gathered fun toppings so that my “guests” could customize their sandwiches. The options included: cole slaw, pickles, roasted bell peppers, sautéed mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Charles loved the cole slaw and pickles, while I preferred to add the roasted peppers, mushrooms, and onions to my sandwich.
My recipe is below – but first be sure to click around to visit everyone else’s sites to see their recipes!
Summer Barbecue Menu:
Basil Burrata Dip with Fresh Tomatoes by Erica at Everything Erica
Herbed Corn and Avocado Salad by Lauren of Lakeshore Lady
Sweet Pepper Honey Cornbread Muffins by Lindsey of Butter & Type
Spicy Chicken with Grilled Peaches by Brett of Her Tasty Life
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches – recipe below!
Bourbon Milkshake By Jocelyn of Grandbaby Cakes
And while you are at her site check out the Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook!
Plum, Blueberry, and Ginger Granita by Jenny of Honey & Birch
I would like to thank all these lovely and talented ladies for participating in this virtual dinner party! These women are seriously some of the nicest and most supportive bloggers around. High fives and hugs for everyone!
Now, on to how to make those BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. First I generously rubbed the pork with a barbecue spice mix, then I seared it in a pan before I added it to the slow cooker with two jars of bbq sauce and half of an onion. This recipe is really simple, plus it is a fun BBQ recipe for people who don’t have a grill.
How to Make BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
20 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2-3 pounds Pork Shoulder
- 2 tablespoons Barbecue Rub (I used Weber Classic BBQ Seasoning)
- 2 jars Barbecue Sauce (I used Dinosaur BBQ's sauce)
- 1 cup sliced White Onion
- Suggested Toppings:
- Cole Slaw
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Roasted Bell Pepper
- Caramelized Onions
- Bread and Butter Pickles
- Generously rub the BBQ seasoning all over the pork.
- Heat a pan over high heat. Sear all sides of the pork shoulder for 2 minutes each.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker, on top of the sliced onion. Pour the BBQ sauce over and cover the slow cooker and turn on low.
- Cook for 6-8 hours - at this point the pork will be fall apart tender. Use tongs to place the pork in a bowl. I poured the sauce (including the onions) into a large saucepan and thickened it letting it reduce by one third. Use two forks to shred the pork and stir in the BBQ sauce.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the shredded pork on a bun, and add any toppings you like.
*Photo of my hands by Erin M Bassett