The Super Bowl is just around the corner, which means it is time to talk about appetizers that are perfect for game day. My friends and I are obsessed with Buffalo Chicken Dip, which is hugely popular in the Midwest. Buffalo Chicken Dip is a three layer dip. It is ranch flavored cream cheese topped with shredded buffalo chicken, and sprinkled with cheese. The dip is baked and served hot with tortilla chips. It’s spicy and filled with gooey cheese and tender chicken and it is just as wonderful as it sounds.
Buffalo Chicken Dip can be made a few different ways, and I am going to share what I think is the best way to make it, which involves starting by making buffalo chicken in a crockpot. You could skip this and purchase a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store, shred the meat, and then soak it in buffalo sauce, but honestly, it isn’t much more effort to make the chicken from scratch and the end result is better.
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a three layer dip. It is ranch flavored cream cheese topped with shredded buffalo chicken, and sprinkled with cheese. The dip is baked and served hot with tortilla chips. It's spicy and filled with gooey cheese and tender chicken and it is just as wonderful as it sounds.
30 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 pound of Chicken (either Boneless Chicken Breasts or Thighs)
- 1 (23 ounce) bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 16 ounces Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1 packet Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese
- A Slow Cooker
- Pour the Franks Red Hot and half of the ranch packet into the slow cooker and whisk together. Then add the chicken, submerging it in the sauce. Turn the slow cooker on low, and let it work its magic for 5-6 hours. You can let it cook for longer - sometimes I will let it cook all day while I am at work.
- Once the chicken has cooked for at least 5 hours, it will be fall apart tender. Scoop the chicken out of the crockpot with a slotted spoon and into a bowl. Then use a fork to shred the chicken, this is really easy work. Then add some of the sauce back to the chicken. This is how you can control the spiciness of the chicken. Add the sauce to taste, the more you add the spicier the chicken will be.
- Mix the remaining ranch seasoning with the cream cheese.
- Spread the seasoned cream cheese on the bottom of a pie pan.
- Add a layer of the shredded chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the chicken.
- Bake the dip for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and serve with tortilla chips.
The photos depict a half batch of this dip, that I may have eaten for breakfast…