This Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe is inspired by sweater weather and the hearty meals that Kelly and I ate in Ireland. I returned from a quick trip to Ireland on Wednesday and was greeted with cooler fall-like temperatures. It’s the type of weather that makes me crave a warm hearty dinner. This Chicken Pot Pie is loaded with veggies, can be made with just 20 minutes of active preparation time, and is sure to warm you up on a chilly day.
Instead of using pie crust, I used puff pastry on top of the chicken pot pie. Kelly and I had a similar chicken pot pie at a restaurant just outside Dublin. It came on a bed of mashed potatoes with puff pastry on top. It was delicious! It was extra filling thanks to the potatoes. I left the potatoes out of this recipe since I didn’t want the meal to be too heavy. The chicken pot pie in Ireland didn’t have any veggies so we ordered some on the side. I prefer to put the veggies right in the chicken pot pie.
I wanted to make individual chicken pot pies so I used two large ramekins. They held almost all of the filling, I had a little leftover which will make for a nice lunch. In the past I have made one large chicken pot pie using store-bought pie crust. I usually add just one crust on top, but you can make a double crust pie if you want. If you choose to use puff pastry, just add it on top of the pot pie.
I added meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken to this pot pie, but you could use leftover chicken instead. I added my favorite veggies to this recipe: corn, green beans, mushrooms, onion, carrot, and peas. The veggies gave this meal a fresh flavor and helped to make the chicken pot pie a complete meal. You can definitely use different vegetables in this recipe, broccoli and bell peppers would both be nice additions.
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup sliced Mushrooms
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup of Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 cup Whole Kernel Corn
- 1/2 cup Sliced Carrot
- 1/2 cup Diced Green Beans
- 2 cups diced cooked Chicken
- 1 Sheet of Puff Pastry (or Pie Crust), thawed out
- 1 tablespoon Melted Butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and cook for 3 minutes before adding the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 8 minutes.
- Next, add the cream of mushroom soup and the chicken broth. Stir the soup and broth together, and heat to a simmer. Add the remaining vegetables and the chicken. Let simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the pie filling into your pie pan or ramekins. Top with the puff pastry or pie crust. Cut a few slits in the crust so steam can escape. Brush the crust with the melted butter. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust has browned.
Want to save this recipe for later? Here is an image for you to pin:
my favorite link parties