What makes a salad more fun? Fried cheese. Specifically, goat cheese that is breaded and lightly fried. This salad is easy to prepare and is one of my favorite lunches. In addition to the fried goat cheese, this salad has crispy prosciutto. It is my new favorite secret ingredient… and I love it more than bacon.
This Fried Goat Cheese Salad combines toasted pine nuts, avocado, tomatoes, with crispy prosciutto and a roasted garlic vinaigrette on a bed of mesclun greens. It is a really wonderful combination of ingredients and I think it is the perfect thing to eat this time of year. It’s a lighter meal, but the warm fried goat cheese is nice on those cooler days. I find the fried breadcrumb crust and the melty goat cheese inside to be incredibly satisfying. The best part is that you can get this meal to the table in just 20 minutes. I like to eat it for lunch, but it also makes for a fun #meatlessmonday dinner too.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 slice Prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons Goat Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Mesclun Greens
- 1 tablespoon Pine Nuts
- Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Start by crisping up the prosciutto in the oven. Heat your oven to 350 degrees, place the prosciutto on a baking sheet, and bake it for 10 minutes, or until the prosciutto is firm. Let cool.
- Next, start to assemble the salad. It's best to fry the goat cheese and add it at the last minute. Place the greens in a bowl and add the tomatoes and avocado on top. Crumble the prosciutto over.
- Now fry the goat cheese. First whisk the egg and pour the breadcrumbs into a small bowl. Then use your hands to shape the goat cheese into a flat circle. Place the goat cheese in the bread crumbs, pressing them into the cheese. Then dunk the goat cheese in the egg, and place it back in the breadcrumbs.
- Warm 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat and add the breaded goat cheese. Toast for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Then add the remaining olive oil, flip, and brown the second side. Then place on the salad.
- Lastly, place the pine nuts in the still hot skillet and toast them for about 30 seconds, until browned. Then sprinkle over the salad, add the dressing and eat!