Wondering what to make with leftover mashed potatoes? These eggs baked in mashed potatoes are a perfect breakfast! Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes is the best way to serve leftover mashed potatoes while making breakfast. You might want to make extra mashed potatoes just so that you can try this delightful breakfast recipe.
Now that Thanksgiving is here, you might find yourself with a fridge full of leftovers. Usually, we have lots of leftover mashed potatoes, so I found a way to transform them into a fun and really easy to prepare breakfast recipe. Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes is a delicious breakfast that can be made in just 15 minutes, and it is easy to make a larger batch if you need to feed a crowd.
Leftover mashed potatoes are warmed up and placed in a pie pan, then a spoon is used to carve out spaces to hold the eggs. Salt, pepper, mozzarella, and Parmesan and sprinkled over before it goes into the oven to bake until the whites are cooked and the yolks are runny. The finishing touch is fried sage.
The combination of the creamy cheesy mashed potatoes, the soft egg white, the thick rich runny egg yolk, browned mozzarella, and crispy fried sage is wonderful. The fried sage adds an extra boost of flavor, and the process of frying the sage will make your home smell heavenly.
There are so many ways you could switch up this recipe. You could lay a piece of prosciutto in each hole before you add the egg. You could add crumbled bacon on top. You could mix some leftover turkey in with the mashed potato. I used Yukon Gold potatoes, but you could opt to use savory sweet potatoes (not the ones with marshmallows on top). Get creative and make this recipe your own.
It took a few tries before I figured out how to keep the yolk nice and runny. I found that the eggs cook more quickly than you might think, and that by finishing them under the broiler the white cooks while the cheese browns. Every oven is a bit different, so keep a close eye on the eggs as they bake.
Oh, and if you are looking for a mashed potato recipe, here is my favorite.
Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes
Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes is the best way to serve leftover mashed potatoes while making breakfast. You might want to make extra mashed potatoes just so that you can try this delightful breakfast recipe.
- 2-3 cups Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Large Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- 6-8 Sage Leaves
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then microwave the potatoes until they are just warm - this will probably just take a minute or two. Stop halfway to stir the potatoes. The potatoes are easier to work with when they are warm, and more importantly, by heating them a little it insures that the potatoes will be hot when the eggs are cooked.
- Use half of the butter to grease a pie pan. Then add the warm potatoes. Use a spoon to create four spaces to hold the eggs. Crack the eggs into these spots, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the eggs. Then sprinkle the cheeses over.
- Place the dish on the lowest rack of the oven to cook for 7 minutes.
- Then move it to an upper rack and cook under broil for 5 more minutes. The whites of the eggs should be solid, and the yolks should still be soft. Let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Save this recipe for later by saving this pin on Pinterest: