I am almost three weeks into my modified paleo diet and I am constantly looking for new and exciting ways to eat chicken, quinoa, and vegetables. Today I bring you Southwestern Chicken and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. Light fluffy quinoa and shredded chicken is seasoned with chunky salsa, combined with beans and avocado and stuffed inside a bell pepper. If you want to get creative, you can add a bit of cheddar cheese and a fried egg with a runny yolk on top. It’s a low fat meal that is positively loaded with protein, which helps keep you feeling full.
While I am on my diet I am keeping cooked quinoa, shredded chicken, and plenty of veggies in my fridge at all times. And you know what? If you do that prep work on a Sunday, you can get a handful of different dinner options on the table in 20 minutes or less. It’s empowering because dinner has gone from a bit of a chore to something that is easy to accomplish (and without much mess).
If you are on a strict Paleo or Whole 30 diet and are not eating legumes, you could substitute corn, kale, shredded carrots, or jalapeños for the beans.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 Large Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 1/4 cup diced Avocado
- 1/4 cup Beans (I used a mix of Black and Kidney)
- *Optional toppings: Cheddar Cheese and a fried egg
- Start by heating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Then slice the pepper in half and remove the seeds and membranes.
- In a bowl, pour the salsa over the chicken, letting the chicken soak in the salsa for a minute. Then add the quinoa, beans, and avocado. Stir to combine.
- Fill the pepper halves with the chicken and quinoa mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top if you like.
- Place the peppers in the oven to bake for 15 minutes. The peppers will have softened, but will still have a bit of crunch.
- For something extra special, serve the peppers with a fried egg with a runny yolk on top.