This quick weeknight meal is loaded with flavor, and vegetables! My husband recently requested that I make a Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad based on a lunch he often orders from a restaurant near his office. Since the chicken is drown in buffalo sauce, this salad doesn’t need a dressing. The blue cheese cuts the heat from the spice, the celery and shredded carrot give a satisfying crunch, and the quinoa makes the meal a bit heartier. To save time, I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, and with this shortcut I got the meal to the table in under 30 minutes.
The great thing about salads is that they are easy to customize. I oped for broccoli, while Charles added cucumbers instead. The other fun thing about this recipe is that you can serve the chicken and quinoa hot or cold. We added warm chicken and quinoa to our salads, but then Charles kept them cold when he ate the leftovers.
Want to pack this and bring it to work for lunch? Just keep the chicken separate so it doesn’t wilt the greens.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Shredded Roast Chicken
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Sauce
- 2 cups Mixed Greens
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 cup Broccoli
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 tablespoons Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan, add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Once the broth boils, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the celery, cucumber, and tomato. Either slice the carrot or shred it with a cheese grater.
- You can add the broccoli raw, or cook it. I quickly cooked the broccoli in the microwave.
- Pour the greens into bowls, and arrange the vegetables on top. Add the chicken, and a big scoop of quinoa. Add the cheese in the middle and serve.