I love any excuse to have friends over, and I figured that the end of summer/beginning of football season/a chance to see friends before we go to Europe for a couple of weeks seemed like a fitting reason to mix up cocktails for friends. When I asked Charles what food I should make, he was very specific. He wanted mini bratwurst sandwiches with spicy pickles. I then took his idea, and decided to create mini bratwurst sandwiches to garnish bloody marys. It seemed like a perfect way to celebrate the start of football season, while giving a nod to our upcoming trip to Germany.
Last week was one of those weeks. You know, one of those weeks where it seemed impossible to get anything done, and I felt like I was running all over town. Fortunately Foxtrot came to my rescue and delivered everything I needed straight to my doorstep in under an hour. I ordered ingredients for Bloody Marys: Tito’s Vodka and McClure’s Bloody Mary Mix, and to make the drinks extra special I added Bratwursts, Sharp Cheddar, McClure’s Spicy Pickle Spears, Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard, and Sesame Seed Buns to the my cart so I could make the ultimate garnish. If you don’t already have the Foxtrot app, you can download it here, I have a feeling it will help you get through Chicago’s impending winter. And, you can get 15% off your order with the code KITTCHEN!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- Bratwurst (I used Jalapeño Cheddar)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Mustard (I used Sir Kensington's Spicy Brown, it's seriously the best)
- McClure's Spicy Pickle Spears (Charles is obsessed with these)
- Sesame Seed Buns
- McClure's Bloody Mary Mix
- Tito's Vodka
- Begin by cooking the bratwurst. I used a grill pan and I grilled the brats for 10 minutes over medium heat, rotating them a few times.
- While the brats are cooking, slice the cheese, and cut the pickle spears into smaller pieces.
- Once the brats are ready, slice them in half from top to bottom and trim the ends off so they will fit in the buns.
- Using a half of a bun, arrange the brat, cheese, and pickle, fold the bun around the ingredients, and secure with a toothpick. Top the brat with mustard.
- Then mix up the bloody marys. Place some ice in a glass, pour a shot of vodka over, and then fill the glass with the bloody mary mix.
- Add the brat sandwich on top, and serve!
This post was sponsored by Foxtrot, the opinions expressed are my own.